Born in Paris, the son of a British embassy official, he studied medicine at the request of his family bot he never practiced after completing his internship
1. Прочитати і перекласти.
Born in Paris, the son of a British embassy official, he studied medicine at the request of his family bot he never practiced after completing his internship.
The most peculiar thing about S. Maugham’s works is that the reader can never guess the end of them. That is why they are always read with great interest. Most of S. Maugham’s stories show his good knowledge of ordinary people and his warm sympathy for them.
2. Підготовка до сприймання тексту.
а) Значення та вживання маловідомих слів та виразів;
barrister – advocate , solicitor
councel - Vocar, man of God, padre
make-belive – lie, pretence, untruth
stiffle – airless, very hot, choke, prevent from breathing
luxury  – wealth, rechness…
reproach – criticizm, blame, condemn, find fault with, express one’s dissatisfaction
interfere  – stick one’s nose in…
see to smith – look after, take care of, be responsible for
T: Explain in your own way how you understand the following phrases from the text:
- If I believed in God I’d be a priest
- I naturally expected they’d see to all that at school
- as if he had to make an effort over himself to continue
- I felt a little hero
- When I saw it was all pretence it ruined something in me
- You don’t know the difference between truth and make-believe
- he was expressing something that had burdened him for years
b) Аналіз, пояснення та переклад складних граматичних явищ;
T: Analyze and translate some grammatical phenomenon.
- If I believed in God, I’d be a priest.
- You make me feel as if I hadn’t done my duty for you.
- I naturally expected they’d see to all that at school.
- I felt I’d never do any thing bad again.
- I made up my mind I wouldn’t ever be made a fool of again.
- When I’ve seen you go into an empty room…
3. Навчання діалогічного мовлення на основі діалога-зразка. Удосконалення фонетичних навичок та навичок синхронного перекладу.
Драматизація розмови між Джулією і сином.
4. Розвиток монологічного мовлення у зв’язку з прочитаним.
а) Перевірка розуміння змісту за допомогою питань.
T: Give laconic answers to the following questions:
- Did Julie know the inner world of her son?
- Why did she want to work him at law?
- What was her attitude towards her son?
- What was the crucial moment in Roger’s life?
- Why did he want to become a priest?
б) Навчальна бесіда в режимі “Teacher-Class”
T: share your thoughts and views on the following:
- Are such families an exception? Don’t you think that many families live in the atmosphere of make-believe?
- Why is the atmosphere of make-believe stifling?
- Julia said: “You make me feel as if I hadn’t done my duty to you.” Why do you think the duty of a mother is towards her children. Did Julia do her duty to Roger?
- Roger told his mother that he wanted reality. It is easy to live in the real world? Is the world of make-believe or reality easier for you?
в) Висловлювання студентів з використанням логічно-структурної схеми.
T: Say everything you can about Julie. What impressed you in her? What kind of person is she? Use the following scheme when speaking of Julie. What do you think it was that distinguished her from other people?
г) Визначення стилістичних особливостей твору та ставлення автора до героїні.
T: What qualities do you think the author appreciates in Julie and what not?
what devices does he use?
5. Непідготовлене ситуативне мовлення.
а) Рольова гра “Інтерв’ю з Джулією”.
T: You are a journalist. You are going to interview Julie. Ask her questions.
б) Дискусія на запропоновану тематику.
- They say the world rests on the Mother’s Heart. Is that so?
- How would you explain that since the time people got their human awareness they have created innumerable portraits of Mother?
- Can you say that your family is a unit? Who’s the heart of it?
- Have you ever had a heart-to-heart talk with your parents? Do you treasure them? Who is it easier for you to trust your secrets to?
- Do you feel any kinship of souls with your father of mother?
- When do we say that a family is “incomplete”?
- Speak about you Mother. Say if you always rely on her, let her in all you secrets, seek for encouragement.
ІІІ. Психологічний тест.
Поради для батьків у вихованні дітей.
T: Give some advises for parents about how to deal with their children.
Make a list of “Dos” and ”Don’ts”.